World Giraffe Day is a new and exciting initiative of the Giraffe Conservation Foundation (GCF) to celebrate the longest-necked animal on the longest day or night (depending on which hemisphere you live!) of the year†21 June! Not only is it a worldwide celebration of these amazing and much loved animals, but an annual event to raise awareness and shed light on the challenges they face in the wild. By supporting World Giraffe Day you can help to support giraffe conservation efforts in the wild that will ultimately help to secure the future of this amazing creature in Africa. With only less than 80,000 giraffe remaining in the wild, the time is right to act NOW!
Where is World Giraffe Day celebrated?
Zoos, schools, NGOs, governments, institutions and conservation organisations around the world arehosting events on 21 June 2014 to raise awareness and support for giraffe in the wild. Visit www.worldgiraffeday.org to see who else is celebrating World Giraffe Day. Key Conservation Messages for World Giraffe Day You will find a lot of interesting information, but the most important messages are:
• Giraffe numbers have plummeted from approx. 140,000 in the late 1990s to less than 80,000 today.
• Giraffe have already become extinct in seven African countries.
• Giraffe are the least researched large mammal in Africa and we often refer to them as the ‘forgotten megafauna’.
• There has never been someone working full time on giraffe conservation in the wild post a University degree.
• GCF is the only charitable organisation focusing entirely on giraffe conservation in Africa and so far GCF is entirely volunteer run. We would like to change this, but this obviously requires money and other resources.
• GCF works with governments, NGOs, universities and other organisation in numerous African countries in order to support giraffe research and conservation across the continent.
• Given all the facts above, we have the opportunity to do something for giraffe conservation in Africa now, before it is too late – let’s all stick our neck out for giraffe conservation in Africa!
What resources are available for World Giraffe Day?
Various resources such as the World Giraffe Day logo, a World Giraffe Day colouring sheet, a giraffe conservation guide, two giraffe conservation posters and a list with suggested activities for the day are available online at www.worldgiraffeday.org or by contacting us directly. We are more than happy to share experiences, discuss ideas and connect you with others hosting World Giraffe Day activities around the globe. If you are celebrating World Giraffe Day, please send us your logo so we can add it to our website to help giraffe enthusiasts find events near them. Want to buy World Giraffe Day Gifts? Get your World Giraffe Day merchandise online at: http://www.cafepress.com/giraffeconservation There are many cool World Giraffe Day products we have available. All of these make great present for family and friends or other giraffe enthusiasts! Other items include: hats, sweatshirts, polo shirts, water bottles, bags, stickers, mouse pads, and much more. To see all available products and colour and design options, please click on the link above to visit the full store. A percentage of all sales go to support giraffe conservation efforts in the wild through GCF!
T: 035 527422 email: firstname.lastname@example.org